Thursday, November 03, 2005

FEED ME.

I. love. food. I love it. I can’t get enough of it. Short of taking a bath in chocolate silk and spritzing my pits with essence of beef jerky, I cannot live without it. It is for this reason that I have never, and probably never will, fast for Jesus. (Sorry Jesus, but you’re the one who created me.) Food is also the sole reason that I am ever cranky. (Not to be confused with being stressed, PMS, and/or in a general bad mood.) You can call me at 5am and I will answer chipper as a bluebird. You can call me names, tug on my hair, or question my sexual identity. But should you ever be so misfortunate to find me hungry, run. Run for your life or, rather, run to the nearest restaurant and warn the chef.

I’m not sure where my love of food originated. I suppose it’s only fair to give the Chinese some credit. After all, the kitchen is a Chinese family’s most prized and messiest room. They pride themselves in their dishes so much that dish-naming is an art. Every dish is preceded by its fanciful name, followed by due “oooh’s” and “ahhh’s” from the hungry spectators. Why, the Chinese love food so much, they don’t even bother with drinks. (Very opposite from American culture, yes?) Before Western culture saturated China, the drink of choice for meals was hot tea. You’ll notice that even then, the teacups were, and still are, small. Rather, the Chinese prefer their liquid to come in the form of soup. When my sister and I were little, our requests for drinks were met by scolding glares by our parents. Eventually, my dad relented and grew accustomed to ordering us tap water. If we were lucky, we got Sprite.

Still, I like to think I was born with an extra sense for food. The demands of an American lifestyle has forced me to concede on some otherwise homemade meals, but generally I like my food as homemade as time and patience allows. Above all, I have to have food – all the time, for every occasion, or no occasion at all.

When I lived at home, eating good meals was never a problem. (Hygiene was, but let’s not go there.) Either Mom or Dad would cook Chinese, and if they were feeling lazy, we’d order out…Chinese food, that is. Once I left for college, eating and eating well became an obstacle. The dining hall was in another building, their food was less than appetizing, there were no kitchens in our dorms, no room to store food, and worst of all, I had no car. Desperate times called for desperate measures. I called every single friend with four wheels so that, like clockwork, each one took turns taking me to the grocery story every other weekend. They’d help me carry all my bags up the stairs to my dorm room where I would carefully store away my precious treasures in my mini-fridge and storage bins. I washed dishes in the bathroom sink. Once, freshman year, I bought a pineapple and spent half an hour chopping away at a small sink with a pint-size knife. I lost count how many classes I was late to simply because I had to stop and buy food. My junior year, I moved into a dorm with a kitchen. I spent most of that year running between my room and the kitchen down the hall to turn this over, put more spice of that, on and on. I moved into an apartment my senior year, and it was also the first year I had a car. Spare hours, especially in times of stress, were whittled over the stove.

Now that I’m out on my own and working, I have less time and energy to cook. (Plus, Jason’s parents always give me a free meal when I’m over and that is A-OK with me.) However, I eat just as much, if not more. If anything, my eating habits have gotten more frequent and much more erratic. Observe today’s feeding so far:
  • 2 french toasts with butter and syrup
  • A bowl of oatmeal with pork sung
  • 2 butter crackers
  • 1 milk chocolate truffle
  • Several skittles (only purple and red)
  • 2 lychee jellos
  • 2 slices of raisin bread
  • A handful of kettle popcorn
Now before you start gagging, a few addendums: I didn’t use that much butter or syrup, there was no sugar in the oatmeal, the potato chips were fat-free, I only used a little bit of butter and syrup, and the crackers were reduced-fat. I know what you’re thinking: “COP OUT!” But I promise I’m not. I eat what I like. I eat what tastes good to me. It just so happens that I prefer the taste of fat-free potato chips and reduced-fat crackers, and too much butter or syrup makes my stomach hurt. On the same side of the coin, I also prefer the full-fat versions of all cakes, pies, chocolates, soups, and most cheeses.

So yes, I’m a food lover. No food fetish (unless you count ketchup, GOD BLESS KETCHUP), I don’t substitute food for love, and I stop eating when I’m full (unless it’s a buffet, got to get your bang for your buck).

While we’re on this topic, I might as well close this session with a short list of some of my favorite foods:
  • Squash soup
  • Sweet potato fries
  • Anything with ketchup
  • Kettle popcorn
  • Corn – cornbread, corn casserole, corn of the cob, corn corn corn
  • Blueberries
  • Taro – taro bread, taro wafers, taro soup, taro taro taro
  • Sunny-side up eggs
  • Jellyfish
  • String seaweed and cucumbers in vinegar
  • Pies – blackberry, chocolate silk, key lime
  • Cookies n’ cream ice cream
  • Bubble tea
  • Eggplant – parmesan or diced in oil with beef on rice
  • Chai tea
If you don’t know what something is, either look it up or ask me. Until then, feast on, feasters!

15 Comments:

Blogger Beckalicious said...

I like food, too, but I'm sure not liking myself now (after gorging on 100 Grands for four days). I'm literally nauseous. I swear I've gained five pounds this week.

I LOVE EGGS. AND ICE CREAM. AND FRENCH FRIES. AND BREAD. AND PASTA. AND COOKIES.

9:30 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

You may be dying of 100 Grand intake but WHAT A WAY TO GO!!

P.S. I love EVERYTHING you've just described. I had eggs for breakfast (well, the beginning of it) and I had eggs for dinner (part of it). What's your favorite food?

9:45 PM  
Blogger Daphnewood said...

I love food too. My figure has suffered for it but I am at a point in my life that I just don't care. I am "dieting" but eat what I want. I just only get to eat every other day. It balances out that way. I have tried jellyfish and must say it is the foulest food to ever pass my lips (next to canteloupe). I felt like I was chewing on rubberbands. But corn is awesome.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

Does that work... eating every other day? I try to skip a snack and I get lightheaded and you can hear my stomach growling from across the room. Today I'm going cold turkey off the 100 Grands though. Even thinking about eating one makes me sick.

My favorite food... like what would I ask for as a last meal on death row? (: (We seriously had that as a question in one of my online classes last summer.) My mom's lasagna with a side of my mom's potato salad, washed down with a fully loaded Dr. Pepper. For dessert... a heaping pile of Ben & Jerry's "Everything But The..." ice cream. OH MY GAWD. YUM.

8:05 AM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Daphne - Do you really eat only every other day? Like...like zippo food one day and food the other? What do you do when your family is eating on the day you're not? Especially if you're the one cooking? I couldn't stand the temptation!

I think I like jellyfish because I love vinegar and jellyfish as a cold dish is coated in it. Hm, what is the foulest thing that has ever passed my lips...oh I know! GOETTA! BLEH! I had it in sausage/hot dog form and I thought I was going to ralph.

Becky - I don't blame you for going cold turkey. One can only take the same food for so long. Btw, your "if I was on death row" food sounds AMAZING. I love lasagna and potato salad! Haven't had the former in a long, long time. Oh, and good choice with the Dr. Pepper. I don't drink soda often, but if I do, I choose root beer.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

That's ALL I drink. But I only really get the fully loaded DP if we get McD's or if I'm at my in-laws'.

Funny thing about root beer. My kids think it's beer, only for kids. Cute, huh? I like to say that the only kind of beer I like is of the root persuasion.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I love Chai Tea! But you are thin, no? How do you stay so thin or are you one of those blessed ones? No fair *she whines*

I agree, some things taste better less salty and less fattening.

That must have been cute seeing you preparing over the BR sink and then trying to stuff your groceries intoa bar fridge.

My parents suffered from poor hygeine too (quoting that it was a north american scam to get you to buy more of their products - cringe) willing to tell me more?

10:39 AM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Becky - Oh SO cute! I think I will employ that scheme with my kids. When Jason pulls out his alcohol (he has to have an alcoholic beverage for dinner), then I can give the kids their own "root" beer so they won't feel left out. Genius.

Rowan - Chai tea, woo hoo! I buy the grocer brand, though. Starbucks and Panera is SKYHIGH expensive for just a tiny cup!

Am I thin? Hm that depends on your definition of thin. Currently I'm 5'2", 124-128 lbs (depends on the day), and a size 6 in pants. I suppose that's pretty healthy. But am I one of those lucky ducks? NO WAY! From the time I hit puberty up until this year, I was labeled "big boned". I shot up to 150 lbs when I was 15 and stayed there for 7 years, despite every desperate attempt to shed the weight. I just about given up when I mysteriously lost 25 lbs a few months ago for no apparent reason. I'm still scratching my head! The "lucky duck" would be my sister, who was a size 0 for YEARS and consumed every fatty junk food on the planet. Grandma used to measure our waistlines as kids and insist she make me a corset. (But that's another story.)

Yes, my parents have TERRIBLE hygiene. I would love to tell you more. Hmm...maybe in another post? Or in an email? Let me think about it...

Nikky - HAHA! Yes the jellyfish seems to be most unwelcome among you all. What can I say? I like the vinegary taste. I do love that you love white foods - how fascinating! Does that mean you don't like dark foods? Chocolate? Beans? Veggies? (Honestly, grocery shopping for you would be a breeze. I'd just have to pick out the white foods!)

11:22 AM  
Blogger kimananda said...

Wow, what great foods you and all your commenters have listed...sweet potato fries...cornbread...clam chowder...Ben and Jerry's...I should probably go and make myself dinner before I read any further!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Concert Josh said...

I freaking love to cook. Which reminds me, I need to come up with something to cook for my girlfriend next week. She's a veggie only, but likes fish snd shrimp.

Alright, just the thought of cooking has made me hungry enoughto go to lunch now.

1:15 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Josh - Jason cooked me tilapia and sugar snap peas a few weeks ago and it was DELICIOUS...so delicious that I didn't mind that he kept bragging about his own skills. I even added a few of my own praises. Maybe try that for your Tequila Red? :)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Concert Josh said...

I brag about my skills too..


I'll keep the tilapia suggestion in mind, but I have made that for her a few times and was thinking of trying something new. I just today bought a new cookbook, so I am probably gonna pick something out of it.

2:38 PM  
Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

mmmmmmmmmm corn... That's all I had for dinner last night. A big bowl full of creamed corn. Exactly what I wanted and it tasted sooo good.

2:41 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Concert Josh - You are way ahead of me! Hmm...maybe something fancier, like crab cakes or lobster tails? I love scampi too...the ones with BIG scallops. MMM!

Kjersten - I wanna be a corn queen! I would rule over all that is yummy and corny. Btw, I make a mean corn casserole. Main ingredient: creamed corn! YUM!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Concert Josh said...

humm, and I just happen to have a lobstergram...

thanks.


have a great weekend.

3:47 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home