Thursday, October 20, 2005

Down In Fraggle Rock

I don’t know what was cuter. The adorable Fraggles singing and dancing on the television, or my punch-drunk boyfriend clapping his hands with glee, sitting on the very edge of the bed swaying and jumping and singing with his Fraggles. He was 4 years old again. He was even grasping his sippy cup – a large bottle of Zinfandel.

He tirelessly explained the entire world of Fraggle Rock - pointing and explaining, pointing and explaining. First came the Fraggle characters: “There’s Red Fraggle. She’s the hot one. That’s Wimbley. He’s crazy - look at his nose. There’s Mokey, she’s a hippie. Oooo, there’s Gobo! He’s my favorite!”

Then the other characters: “See those little guys? All they do is work. They keep building glass but the Fraggles eat them. Oh, that’s Doc and his dog. His dog sees the Fraggles but Doc doesn’t believe him. Uh oh, here come the Gorgs! Gorg tries to catch the Fraggles. He’s mean.”

Finally, an adult synopsis of the meaning of life: “Fraggle Rock teaches you all kinds of lessons in life. There’s just so much to learn! Jim Henson created the show to spread world peace. See how there’s all these different cultures and none of them understand each other? See? See? Seeeeee?!”

Two episodes later, I was tired, cold, and snuggled deep inside the covers. Jason, on the other hand, gestured toward me and, with his eyes still glued to the screen, said, “This is the last episode, I promise honey. I’ll brush my teeth and go to bed after that.”

And he did. While humming the theme song.

Ah, life is so good, down in Fraggle Rock. (*clap clap*)

Thank you everyone for sharing your irrepressible joy and vigor for Fraggle Rock. I honestly had no idea that Fraggle Rock was ever a show. (I was born the year of its debut in 1983; it ended four years later, when I probably would have joined the ranks of Fraggle fans.) For a moment, I’d forgotten how important child shows are to us. MY favorite muppet memory is the movie “A Muppet Family Christmas”, which aired in 1987 on HBO. I can still see that crazy chef trying to fry Big Bird for Christmas dinner. What a hoot…

Special thanks goes to those who introduced me to the cult that IS Foamy the Squirrel. Had it not been for your outrage at my ignorance, I undoubtedly would suffer a knarly, squirrely death. (Personally I think he’s kind of scary looking, but that’s just me. And don’t tell him I said that.)

13 Comments:

Blogger kimananda said...

I have to confess, I had never heard of Fraggle Rock before your blog. How is that possible? I was raised on Sesame Street, and love the Muppet Show (series and films). From the dates you give, Fraggle Rock was pretty much on in my high school years (am I really that old?), so maybe I was just too busy with other issues at the time.

BTW, have you picked a favorite Fraggle character yet?

2:44 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Don't feel bad. Before Jason, I never knew Fraggle Rock had been a show. I only knew them from my beloved "A Muppet Family Christmas" video, which I just decided I want for Christmas. They are, however, delightful creatures.

I'm glad you asked about my favorite character. I was trying to decide on one last night and I just can't! They're all so unique. I think I need to watch a few more episodes. Just between you and me, I'm leaning towards Red Fraggle. She's fiesty, she looks good in red, and she wears pigtails. She's like a Leslie Fraggle! (I'll let you know when I decide on my favorite. No doubt we'll be watching plenty more episodes this weekend.)

2:56 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Oooo, a FRAGGLE PARTY! Emerald, you're brilliant. (Of course you are, you're an emerald!) I would LOVE to host a fraggle party, even virtually, just so you all could come. Any ideas?

Haha I know you weren't actually "outraged", I was teasing. I am glad you and Daphne introduced me to Foamy. If I ever were to get a tattoo, I think it'd be something close to Foamy the Squirrel.

Hugs and kisses back!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

I'm afraid I might also have to be drunk to enjoy Fraggle Rock. I think it used to be on the Disney Channel, back when you had to pay for it, so I only got to watch it at friends' houses. What's the dog's name?

I now find my "life lessons" in episodes of SpongeBob.

5:18 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Haha! You'd think he was drunk, but after nearly finishing an entire bottle of wine on his own, he was merely tipsy. What can I say, the boy's built his tolerance! Plus I think all the alcohol did was "enhance" the Fraggle experience. Mmmhmm, I'm dating a 4 year old.

The dog's name is Sprocket. Like a rocket. Cept with a Sp.

SpongeBob. HAHA. His friends scare me.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Whoa, Leslie, I stopped here because you were kind enough to check out my blog and this is really weird because I actually looked up Fraggle Rock on imdb yesterday. I hadn't thought about it in years! Cosmic. I am totally bookmarking your blog. Awesome!

8:37 PM  
Blogger tom said...

Great! now I'm gonna be singing "Dance your cares away..." I'm gonna have to try to download some episodes... Funny thing you mentioned that Jim promoted peace... When you mentioned "Those little guys" that "Keep building glass" the first episode that came to mind was when those little guys (cant remember the name right now...) got tired of the fraggles eating their creations, so the fraggles stopped. The builders built themselves out of a job... didn't know what to do after that.

It's fun to visit the past... THX!

9:50 AM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Trish - It is sort of cosmic, isn't it? Fraggle Rock kind of cosmmic!

Michael - Wait, the Fraggles actually stop eating the little dude's glass? Forever or only for that one episode? When Jason first told me that the Fraggles eat glass, I was like "What? We're teaching kids to eat glass?!"

10:02 AM  
Blogger tom said...

Just one episode. They learn that they have to work together. The builders need the fraggles to continue doing what they are doing, and the the fraggles need the builders to continue making tasty shards of goodness.

I'm not sure that they are made of glass... I justified it in my mind when I was a kid that it was a crystalized type of sugar...

1:13 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Ah yes, the ol "we're different but we need each other" lesson. Still, I hope my child doesn't start eyeing shards of glass when he watches it.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I was always Moki and my sister Red, pretty much matches our personalities, wanna know of another show no one seems to remember but me? The Hillarious House of Frightenstein. I just learned that it too is now on DVD for season One. I am SOOOOOOOOOO getting it, this is praaly the #1 show that defines childhood for me. Guess I"m old too.

3:34 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Sounds like a frightenly hilarious show! You should definitely get it. What's the show about?

3:22 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Ack - they're making a Fraggle Rock movie! Sweeeet....

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2005/092005.shtml

9:33 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home