Friday, October 28, 2005

Job Insecurity.

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no.

Kathryn, the other copywriter intern here at B* Advertising, has been let go. The partners just announced that they will not be offering her a full-time position because of the current lightness of the work load. Makes sense. Makes perfect sense. Makes perfect nauseating sense if you knew that I am the other copywriter intern…and my internship (and thus my review) is up on December 6. Then they’ll decide my fate. And if the work is still slow…

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no.

And to think I used to secretly wish this upon her! She was mean to me, probably because I threatened her job when I joined this place, so I secretly wished she’d disappear. Then I could work without hearing her typing away in the other corner, trying to one-up me. Now she’ll be gone tomorrow, and I can definitely say THIS IS WORSE.

I do have a back up job. It’s my first job. Not a bad job, but it’s not what I want to do. It’s not where I pictured myself. And I certainly did not picture working with a man who found my AIM, hit on me, told me intimate details about his married life, and then spit me right back out because I didn’t want to return his attractions. If I go back to my old job, he’ll be there. Awkward.

Kathryn was crying. I walked over, sat behind her, and scratched her back. She stopped crying. “It’s amazing how that makes the tears go away,” she said quietly. I guess she’s human after all.

Please God. I have one month. C’mon pace, pick the hell up!

6 Comments:

Blogger Morris said...

Leslie,

It is sad about fountain square. I've been watching it progress from the comfort of my high rise office building, and it's sad. One morning I came to work to see sparks flying as they were taking down the stage. It felt like something great important had died.

Sorry I hadn't visited your site in a few days. I wish the best for you! I'm glad you are keeping positive and strong!

I would love to take you to lunch someday but my girlfriend wouldn't like it ;)

7:47 PM  
Blogger tom said...

I had been laid off at a previous job and it changed my life completely. I was working as a "CAD operator" working closely with computers... got laid off and started as a welder. Eventually I got my foot in the office door and started working on the computers there... Thats where I am now. A 'Network Professional' Sometimes things happen so that we can better ourselves. Regardless... I hope you get to keep the job you want, and get to go the direction you want...

11:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How do you know that what they said was the 'real' truth?? Maybe they just wanted to get rid of her! They have to find a 'genuine' reason by law. So don't base your fears on 'lightness of workload'. The most important thing to do right now is get yourself into their minds in a different way. Supposing they were thinking you were 'hot stuff'! Supposing they are smart employers who invest in their staff? If you weren't in a mad panic or despair, if you were inside their heads for real, what do you think you'd find there.

It's an interesting exercise. Now act towards them 'as if' they respect your work and are looking for reasons to keep you in spite of the light workload (how do you know they aren't!). You'll feel much more relaxed and you'll continue to do good work. And they'll be much more likely to renew your contract. Enjoy!

4:46 AM  
Blogger elvira black said...

I agree with Astyrngia's theory. Plus, if the workload is light, that may just mean they only need one person to fill the position rather than two--and they kept the best one! Logically, you would probably now get her work plus yours, no? And that might be sufficient to keep you plenty busy.

I've read in those "how to get ahead" books (lol) that sometimes if you ask the boss if there's something you can do, or come up with some ideas and present them, they may view you as more and more indispensible. But if it doesn't work out, it may be for the best anyway--who knows? Maybe there's some third alternative other than this job or the old one with the creepo colleague. Best of luck!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Daphnewood said...

I am in agreement with astryngia. It has been my experience that people are "let go" for every reason but the one stated. It sounds like they sugar coated her exit for her. So just keep doing a good job. Everything always has a way of coming together. I will be praying for you.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

like the others have said, sounds like a nice excuse to me.

I'm hoping thats the case (it usually is) and that you continue merrily on sans mean girl.

Have a good week.

12:30 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home