Thursday, October 27, 2005

3 Diseases and a Party.

Three years ago I confronted the painful reality of Scoliosis. A month ago my doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. Yesterday, I was additionally diagnosed with Sciatica.

It’s not as bad as it sounds. Don’t get me wrong, it sucks ass. Much of my life has been pain-ridden, one hand doing work, the other hand rubbing the spot that hurts…then the next…then the next. I can’t do some things healthy people can do. It is painful, taxing, and expensive. But now that I know exactly what I have, I feel better prepared. I haven’t won the war, but now David isn’t just a little boy, he’s a little boy with a powerful slingshot…and he has a pretty good idea of where to hit Goliath. Knowledge is power.

The doctor isn’t worried about my Scoliosis, so that’s been put on the backburner (where it will hopefully die a short, sweet death). I’m taking an anti-depressant called amytryptaline for my Fibromyalgia to take away the pain in my muscles. As for the newfound Sciatica, I’ve been ordered to do physical therapy for a month. After that, if I haven’t improved, it’s off to the CAT scan for me. One day at a time. That’s all I can take.

In other news, I finally found a compromise between my laziness/frugality and my need to “do something” for Halloween. The answer: A dinner party. A “harvest” party, if you will. Nevermind that the two living rooms are under construction, the dining room is clogged with everything the living rooms used to hold, the downstairs bathroom has been out of order since I moved in, and I have no idea what to cook. I am Leslie, Mighty Warrior Princess of all things spontaneous and fun and harvesty and…

Oh shit I have no idea what to cook!

Desserts are easy, but what’s a good fall party appetizer? What’s an easy entrée? How do I do this without breaking the bank?

Help, please?!


The party is on Saturday night, so submit all frantic suggestions and award-winning recipes before then. Or laugh at me after.

Scoliosis, Fibromyalgia, and Sciatica are diseases of the spine, muscles, and nerves, respectively. For more information, look it up.



8 Comments:

Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

My grandma had fibromyalgia, I hope that the anti depressants help!

All three are painful diseases. Forgive me for silly questions and comments, but talking about diseases is one of my most favorite things to do...

It surprises me that your doctor doesn't think the scolliosis isn't what caused the sciatica. Most people I know with sciatica have it because of problems with their backs. Like herniated intervertebral discs. Regardless, physical therapy should help a ton.

I only have relatively minor scolliosis (twisting to the left) and went to a physical therapist for the pain. His answer: exercise. Stronger muscles keep your back from hurting, but building up those muscles hurts my back... hm, catch-22.

I'm not much of a cook... but let me think for a minute about things you can make. I heard that squash is supposed to be good if you bake it with butter. Ham might be easy, they sell it all marinated and spiral sliced for you. I got nothing else. Sorry!

4:37 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Yes, the meds for the Fibro are helping a ton. I'm not pain-free, but I feel so much better!

There are few (if any) topics that I will not openly discuss, and diseases is NOT one of them. I will talk about anything and everything you want to know about my diseases. :)

Yes, I suspect that one of them (probably the scoliosis) causes the other two. Let's keep our fingers crossed that I don't need anything more major than physical therapy. (The place is inside a gym, so it's also a great excuse to work out!)

Oooo, I never thought of ham slices! Ah yes, squash soup, SO delicious. Thanks for the tips!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Try Companera doris for food 'on the hoof'. She has no fear when entertaining is near!!

I'm glad that the doc is doing positive things for you!!

I saw UK designer Anna Rider Richardson on TV tonight and thought how much she looks like you. Well, a little bit. Lots of big expressions. Anyway, I thought of you!! :-)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Okay, these aren't really "harvest" themed, but my mom makes these awesome pizza roll things using Pillsbury Cresent rolls, pepperoni slices, and shredded mozzarella cheese. You unroll a package of cresent rolls and leave two of the triangles stuck together so you have a rectangle. Put pepperoni slices on the cresent rolls, then put some cheese over the pepperoni. Then roll the whole thing up and pinch the ends closed. Cook in the oven at like 350 or whatever until brown. Slice up and serve w/marinara sauce.

I've made these w/vegetarian pepperoni and they still comes out awesome. A huge hit wherever I bring them.

And Leslie, you are too young to be in all this pain. The doctors had better fix that, stat.

9:43 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

Hey, I'm the queen of fast cooking (a question of laziness, not talent). I'd suggest make your own burritos. You get all the fixings, and put them in bowls. Then you make the rice, heat the beans and the tortillas, and then (to make everyone really impressed) you fry some meat with spices. Then you just let everyone have at it!

7:39 AM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Astryngia - I looked up Anna Ryder Richardson. Interesting! Do you really think I look like her? She's pretty (cept for the eyebrows, I think they're overplucker), so I'll take that as a compliment.

Trish - Oooo, those pizza rolls sound delicious! I might have to try that. Thanks!

A lot of people tell me "you are too young" when it comes to my diseases. Even my doctor. It always surprises me when I hear it, though. I mean, this is something I've lived with most of my life. I don't know anything else, so I don't know what I should or shouldn't be experiencing at my age, you know? I try to always be grateful for what I do have, regardless of what I'm going through. Lots of kids are going through horrible diseases that they are too young for too. But life is what it is. Better to love my life than to wish I had someone else's.

Kimananda - OOOOO, you are genius extraordinaire! Burritos it is! With that, I've decided to make the entire night Mexican themed. Thank you!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

sorry to hear that doll!
Like you said, ya know what's wrong with u at least!?!
I'm still waiting for drs to confirm anything for me ,but they don't seem keen to.

ANyway, squash, sweet potatoes, creamed corn, anything you might have for thanksgiving howsabouts? Turkey? Apple pie? Pumpkin pie?

Appetizers is harder...what about diced fruit with toothpicks? I dunno, that's what we often do.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Re Anna - I googled to see what you might find. I found five photos and she doesn't look like any of 'em!! I guess you have to see her in action to 'get' her. But I found out three interesting things I didn't know before : she was a model and a fitness instructor before she became a designer (just shows how people can reinvent themselves), she was adopted and her father was Malaysian. Well I never!

Hope the dinner went well!

5:06 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home