Wednesday, June 07, 2006

hel-LOOOOO NURSE!

Cat calls. Whistles. The perverse “I’m undressing you in my head” grin.

I don’t like it. And I’m pretty sure I’ll never get used to it.

This morning I walked the 4 blocks from my car to my building in the heart of downtown, as usual. First it was the cabbie whose shameless grin unnerved me. Then it was the truck driver who shouted, “he-LLO!” and raised his eyebrow. Then the group of businessmen in the car, all turning to ogle me through the windows. And finally the group of construction guys standing outside my building, who turned around, one by one, to scan me with elevator eyes.

Sure, this has happened before. But I already said it – I’ll never get used to it. In fact, after the cabbie bore invisible holes through my breasts, I stopped to check myself out in the building. When someone looks at me like that, I always think one thing and one thing only.

There must be a gimungous booger hanging from my nose.

So I checked. But no booger. No ‘I’m with stupid’ stamp on my forehead. No breast prematurely sagging to my knees.

Maybe if my cleavage was hanging out, my midriff was showing, and my bare bottom was flagging down cars, I could understand that I was asking for it. But c’mon, I don’t dress like that when I’m at bars, let alone to work.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy attention or compliments. I’m a woman. I want to feel beautiful just like any other gal. But can’t a guy smile at me warmly? Can’t he nod at me and say ‘good morning’? But no. It’s always the “I wonder what you look like naked” stare with a side of drool.

Yuck, I say. Yuckity yuck.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daphnewood said...

you know Leslie, my first reaction to this post was, "hey girl, if you got it flaunt it!". But really I know what you mean about feeling yucky. There is a right way and a wrong way to show appreciation for the human body. I don't think there is anything wrong with having those kind of thoughts. Men (and some women) need to just keep them to themselves and quit staring.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I used to have the same trouble and it bothered me...now I'd give anything for a construction worker to appreciate me....now it's more like snickers of "oh damn, poor guy, married to HER!"

3:29 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Rowan, don't be ridiculous! Any man would be lucky to have you.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Ok, a few things. FIRST, you don't have to dress like anything to get these kind of comments. It could be the clothes themselves, that you're well dressed and clearly work in a tidier environ than those clowns. You're sophisticated and don't NEED them and they admire that.

Next up, these guys make the most obscene gestures solely because they KNOW they have no shot with you. If they really wanted to woo you, they'd be more subtle.

Third, when you're 50 and they stop doing that to you, but rather direct it at some other fine set piece walking by, you'll get jealous, and start fixating on the past and how good you WERE and how you lost it and didn't appreciate it when it was happening to you.

You women...never happy with what you got and always want what you don't have. Sheesh.

5:14 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home