Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Now and then.

Lately I’ve been killing time by looking up people from my past life on Facebook. If you don’t know what Facebook is, it’s simply a site for college students and grads to post profiles about themselves. For some, it’s a way to show off a pretty picture and their popularity. For others (like me), it’s a way to keep connected to people that I otherwise would have forgotten.

Anyway, you don’t need to know what Facebook is to understand how intriguing and amusing it can be to revisit people that you haven’t seen for years. It’s the same feeling you get when you attend a school reunion, except a little safer since this is online.

I’ve been so taken aback at one seemingly obvious but still surprising factor: people change. And wow, do they! It’s not only that people grew up. I mean, the popular jock got fat. The nerdy girl who hid behind her hair and glasses is now a beautiful, gorgeous model. The shortest guy became the tallest. The girl who always had a boyfriend is now single. The lonely girl is married. The bully became an evangelist.

On and on it goes. It makes me shake me head in wonder and awe. Few people turned out the way I thought they would. I mean, when we were in junior high, didn’t we think that the popular kids would be popular forever? We envied them, we hated them, we wanted to be them. Now they’re working B class jobs, looking exactly the same, hanging in the exact same group of friends as the day you left them.

I scour myself for my own changes. I was the loner, the girl who straddled the fence – too nerdy for the popular kids and too down-to-earth for the nerdy kids. I was slightly overweight, and compensated by wearing nonsensical clothing. I was drowning in my depression, hoping for someone to throw me a lifeline. Life was grey and there were days when I begged for death.

Oh how I’ve changed. I look at my life now and I smile. I have loyal, loving friends who would as soon kick my ass into gear as they would soothe all my wounds. I have a handsome man who adores me, whose kisses are endless, and who wants to one day make me his wife. I have the career that I’ve always dreamed of.

Then I look at my face – the face that was ridiculed and ignored all those years – the same face that is now respected, loved, and admired.

I wonder what those kids – the kids that shunned me – would say if they saw me now?

And now I wonder, dear friends, what were you like growing up? Have you defied any expectations? How have you changed? Let’s hear it – I want to know!

9 Comments:

Blogger Chipper said...

Sounds like everyone relaly did change!Yeesh! I haven't been back to any high school reunions, but now you'vre got me wondering what evryone must look like. Hmmmm...

Now this is a hard post to comment on...I am much stronger and self assured than I was as a child, but unfortunately I also have lost that ease and willingness to believe in things. Oh well, tradeoffs must always be had I guess.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

oh my my response to this one could go on and on especially with the motherload of dreams I"ve been having of the friends that were... :oS

I recently saw one of the snottiest, popular kids working as my waitress the other day at crabby joes....she was pleasant! Chipper, ditzy sounding and smiling god forbid. She pretended she didn't know us, but we recognized her!

I really miss my old best friends....I wonder if there'll be any reunions in store for me...looking forward to it...it'll be ten years next year....hrmmmm...

As for the changing thing. I found I warp sped into adulthood and when I HAVE tried to keep in touch with folk that were highschool friends, they hadn't changed whatsoever, and I found I had changed so much, i had a very hard time believing I was ever that petty and c hildish, if you've seen the banger sisters? I'm sure they'd see me as susan sarandon all stuffy and snotty and stuff when I once was immature and wild...*shrugs* their loss, I justhope they'll outgrow it all at some point, but sadly they probably won't.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

I think that deep down, I'd like to say I'm different than I was then, but I don't think I really am. I still feel like a big nerd (I knew everyone in high school... but felt like I fell more on the nerdy side of things), have bad skin, am self-conscious, have friends who say they're your friends but then really aren't then I have no friends, still second-guess every decision I make. No job. So... pretty much the same. Except a little more book-smart. Pretty much still feel like I'm 16 on the inside, but inching terribly close to 30 on the outside. Precisely why I "missed" my high school reunion. Mostly because all of my "friends" went to other schools, and also because I would hate to go back there only to realize people didn't remember me, or didn't really care what has happened to me.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Daphnewood said...

physically I am what I expected: short and fat. But it took me a long time to finish college since I chose marriage first. I don't regret my decision AT ALL. I have been married and a mother for 15 years while my friends from high school are just getting started. Some still aren't married. This was definitely the right path for me. I just didn't imagine moving around so much.

6:24 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

I'm sure I'm different than I was, and I'm equally sure that deep inside, I'm still the same. I'm much more confident and capable than I was then, and I've done some things I've always wanted, but didn't think I'd really do (like live outside the US). I think that the me I was then would like the me I am now, and I look back on the me I was then indulgently.

3:45 PM  
Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

Ugh, I don't know if I even want to think about what I was like... ugly, quiet, cheap t-shirts and jeans every day, face contantly in a book... hm, technically, not too much has changed I suppose.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Chipper said...

Hey-I just saw on my blog ab. we're both from Ohio. I grew up in Toledo and now am in Cleveland. ;-)

5:59 PM  
Blogger PG said...

pssst. Where ya been???
How are ya?
And WHOSE B-day is it coming up??? hmmmm?
;)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Daphnewood said...

Leslie, uh we're tired of the the "then". We want to know how you are doing "NOW". So how are you and how is life going?

9:54 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home