Thursday, April 13, 2006

24 little hours.

"One day can make your life. One day can ruin your life. All life is is four or five days that change everything."
~ Beverly Donofrio, Riding In Cars With Boys

I've been thinking along those lines all day. I totally believe it, too, that life merely consists of several days that changes your life, and the intervals are just down-time until the next life-altering day. There are days that changed my life - days I'll never forget...
  • The day I had my first slow dance. It was summer. I was at camp. We were 11. And I was becoming a young woman with each slow, steady sway.
  • The night of my first kiss. I was 14. It was on the front step. I ran into the house and checked my lips in the mirror to see if they were still there. With lips burning, I wrote it all down in my diary.
  • The night the same boy broke up with me. I weeped for two hours on the phone to my new friend, Christopher, thus sealing a friendship that remains to this day.
  • The night I found out that all 6 of the young women I'd shared the gospel with in Panama City Beach on a mission trip...died in a car crash just days later.
  • The last day of a summer long mission trip in New Jersey. 63 people. Hundreds of friendships formed. Countless tears as we gripped each other. The sight of my best friend weeping into her small hands, asking me between sobs why it was so hard to leave.
  • The night my mother found out I'd lost my virginity. Between sobs, she wailed "How could you do this to ME?!" and told me I would have to grovel for forgiveness. Our relationship died that night, and so did a piece of me.
  • The first time Jason told me he loved me. We'd kissed just a week before and everything was going so fast. I wanted to tell him...but I couldn't...so he turned me to him and reassured me that he was probably thinking the same thing. So I said, "I think I could love you for a long time." And without skipping a beat, he replied, "I love you too." And that's how I found out Jason loved me.
  • The day my mother and I forgave each other unexpectedly while doing taxes. She told me she was proud of me. And I left, holding back tears.
  • This past Sunday afternoon, laying face-to-face with Jason in bed. I was testing the dialation of his pupils according to the distance between our faces, and without warning he smiled the smile that only I know...the quiet, soft smile that every so often reveals his heart, despite himself...and tears began to run down his cheeks. He pulled me closer, closed his eyes, and said, "I'm a lucky guy." I think I renewed my love for him that day.
Those are the days that come the quickest to memory. So what about you, dear friend? What day, for better or for worse, changed your life?

8 Comments:

Blogger Daphnewood said...

gosh Leslie, those were beautiful moments! I mean, not all were pleasant but you recognize them for what they were; a turning point in your life. You have me thinking now. I might try to write down some of my own.

9:43 AM  
Blogger dawnamarie said...

The day I met my husband for the first time. I knew then, that he was mine.

Sweet that Jason loves you so much he gets all mushy and teary. It's almost cute. He must know the secret to winning a woman, we cannot resist a man that will cry for us. (:

1:06 PM  
Blogger Fated said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

What an amazing post. I esp love the last one--how romantic and sweet. My favorite day was in the car with my grandmother singing to me and at that moment knowing just how much she loved me.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Oh dear, this is so romantic! I especially enjoyed the last one - I felt like I was reading a book or watching a romantic film. :)
You've had plenty of days to remember. I'd have to think about it better....but the day of my first kiss I'll never forget - or the night, I should say.

11:53 AM  
Blogger tara said...

Good idea - I shall bite it and post my own.
You have a lovely way with words BTW

2:51 PM  
Blogger tara said...

Good idea - I shall bite it and post my own.
You have a lovely way with words BTW

2:51 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Interesting you should quote that line...I repeat it over and over since seing that movie (which incidentally is practically a mirror to my real life -- if you've seen it, you know me!)

I would have to say my 2 most defining moments are:
1) getting pregnant at 15.
2) reading my mom's diary and seeing her for the first time as a young woman.

3:59 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home