Friday, April 07, 2006

Let the past be past, right?

Think of the most painful example of injustice in your own life. Just for a moment. Picture it in your head. It could be personal...Your boyfriend leaving you, your parent abandoning you, your girlfriend betraying you, your child hating you. It could be institutional...your co-worker blindsiding you, your boss favoring someone else, your doctor misdiagnosing you, your police department ignoring you. Do you see it?

What if you had the chance to "get back"? What if justice could be served? And even then, would it be worth revisiting painful memories that you worked so hard to put behind you?

I watched my most painful example of injustice on CNN today. Remember me telling you that they asked to interview me on camera and I declined? Well, today the segment aired under the "Eye Opener" section on the Paula Zahn show.

They showed everything...all of it...on national television. The brace I'd wore, the nutritional supplements I was forced to take, the office I visited so many times with my parents, the exercise video I was told to follow every day...all of it. And worst of all, they showed his face - the doctor's face who conned over $40,000 from my parents, stole 2 years of my life, and left me full of holes and regrets. I just sat there, frozen, reliving the horror I'd worked so hard to put behind me.

But you know, when someone hurts you...when someone takes advantage of you...no amount of "revenge" is ever enough, you know? I can't have that time back. I can't get that money back to my parents. Plus, I know something about bitterness and anger. It makes your insides ugly. And I don't want that for myself. Not ever.

So after the segment was over, I sat there quietly and breathed a deep sigh. In and out. In and out. Time to move on, Leslie. Time to move on.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beckalicious said...

Easier said than done.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I wish I had seen it, not because I'd wish to hurt you at all, but because I'd feel like I knew you in person a little bit better. I wish you COULD get revenge, but that's the meanness inside me talking I guess :(

What exactly happened in entirety? or are you ready to talk about it?

12:51 AM  
Blogger PG said...

You know, it IS food for you to move on. It is.
Totally healthy too.
But if I could I would beat the living crap out of that doctor for you.
Bastard.
But fate is fate and karma is karma... and you, my dear, are a better Christian than I.

12:26 AM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Becka - Well of course it is, but that isn't going to stop me from trying. It's MY life, and I don't want him to steal any more of my life than he already has.

Rowan - I know, I should have told you all when it was going to be on! But it happened so fast; the producer notified me the same day and I was busy all day and didn't have time to blog. Grr...

And yes, I wish I could get revenge too. But you know, everyone get's their comeuppance in the end, whether it comes from me or someone else or God.

Sure, I'm okay with talking about it. It's a reasonably long story, so I'll share it on a rainy day! (Or perhaps on email with you? :)

Emerald - Oh trust me, I better not run into that doctor ever again, because I won't have ANY mercy.

And darling, I am not a better Christian. There's no such thing. And frankly I struggle and sin just like you and the rest of the world. I just believe, that's all. I believe, despite myself, and in spite of all the injustice and pain in the world. It is that belief that keeps me going.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Chipper said...

I din't know any of your story before this, but I think you are one hell of a strong woman and I am sorry that all of this happened to you. You know, I wish I did know you in person, b/c I would be making you cookies at this moment(Fact: Chocolate chip cookies heal all wounds of the heart) ;-)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Such maturity for someone whose 23rd birthday is still a coupla months away. You rock, m'dear! :-)

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

12:12 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home