Friday, December 02, 2005

Time To Make My Getaway...

Today is my last day at work. As of tonight I will be unemployed, but to me, it’s just another chapter in my adventure. A little scary, I admit, which is why I’m going to take this weekend to escape. A little flight before the fight never hurt anyone, right?

I’ve been thinking a lot about what my dream is for my career. Sometimes I wish my dream was much more prolific or lucrative. I’ve tried to mold and alter it so that the ending ends in 6 digits instead of 5, but there’s just no getting around it…My dream is to write. I don’t want to be a salesman or a teacher or chef or a business executive or even a nanny. I want to be a copywriter…to be someone who writes in a way that catches your attention and makes you BELIEVE.

Unfortunately, like most dreams, my dream is the road less traveled. It’s not easy to turn down jobs that mean easy money, more sleep, and more sanity. But at the end of my life, I don’t want to be one of the many people who never took a risk…who never asked “what if?” and then took a leap off the cliff.

So this is tonight’s agenda. I’m going to gather up the rest of my stuff on my desk, give hugs and sweet goodbyes to those who actually talked to me, and leave this place for the last time. When I get home, I’m going to shower, throw some stuff into my duffle, and head to Jason’s. We’re going to watch lots Comedy Central, eat junk food, and chase his little nieces around the house. Then we’ll tell each other how much we love each other and he’ll tug me into the nook under his arm where I’ll sigh and think, “It’s going to be okay. It just has to be.”

8 Comments:

Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

Good luck in your search!

I was actually just complaining to my dad about regretting not following my dreams. He simply replied: 'you are still young'... he's right...

Don't forget that there are many paths in life that can make us happy. If you don't end up doing exactly what you intended, maybe it was meant to be :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Morris said...

Unemployment is quite fun. Are you going to be able to collect on it? You will just be like G. Bush Senior, except you won't be a drain on society!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

1:22 PM  
Blogger mollie said...

you're going to learn a lot. i quit my first job 6 months after graduation and i've never regretted it.

at the time my lofty ideals had me looking for a non-profit job. i had to do the dreaded "full time waitress" gig for a while, but i really learned so much during that time.

and i loved working at the non profit once the right opportunity came my way.

be proud, hold that head up and write, write WRITE! : )

9:16 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

Write on girl, write one! And remember, that whatever your job ends up being, you can still write, if not at work, then after or before it (or during it when nobody is looking!)

3:59 PM  
Blogger elvira black said...

Good for you! You know the saying (Thoreau I think): some men lead lives of quiet desperation? I think there are a lot of people who regret that they didn't follow their dream. I've always thought being fulfilled was more important than huge bucks anyway. (And copywriters sometimes make big bucks too).

1:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck, leslie. Go for the dream. If you believe you can, you will!! Once you've decided on your target, and keep your eyes open, the opportunities will arise - really, they will!

Looking forward to hearing about all the ups and downsof your travels as you head out towards the dream.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey girl,

it WILL be alright.

Sounds like you're going to have a fantastic weekend. God Bless your endeavors, sister!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Somebody once said, "Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end." So, I SORT of believe that, in a faux optimism sort of way. Of course, "death" isn't usually considered "all right," so the end of that thread doesn't quite fit.

But, whatever. Things'll work out. They have a way of doing that. I've seen it happen before my own eyes enough times.

5:09 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home