Wednesday, November 30, 2005

TV Thoughts.

Last night my suitemate, Rachel, and I sat down to knit. We ended up knitting…and watching TV…for 5 hours. I’m not a huge TV fan. I’m a firm believer that the less TV one watches, the better. I never watched TV all throughout college and now that I do, I don’t have cable.

However, Tuesday nights have somehow wriggled and writhed its way into my life as THE day to watch TV because all the shows I love are on that night. Last night’s shows were especially spell-binding and thought provoking.

Simpson show #1. Lisa wins a Matt Groening version of American Idol and fires Homer as her manager because he has the managing personality of Atilla the Hun. He takes on her rival as his agent to spite her, but at the last minute sabotages the kid’s show so that Lisa would win. They hug and Homer says, “I love you honey. I would do anything for you…especially if it’s easy.”

Thought: So well said, Homer. Love, then, is proven that much more if you do something that is HARD for that person.

Simpson show #2. In order to save Lisa from embarrassment at a county fair, Homer Simpson puts on a costume and pies her perpetrator in the face. From that point on, he becomes “Pie Man”, fighting evil doers by throwing pies in their face.

Thought: As an avid eater and lover of pies, this struck me as a serious waste of good pie. However, I have to admit that if I was trying to do an evil deed and someone pied me in the face, I’d definitely stop in my tracks…to lick it off my face.

The Biggest Loser finale. All the contestants, both eliminated and finalists, arrived on the show for the last time. They replayed each contestant’s individual story – the past, the struggles, and the success achieved. The three final contestants were weighed and the one with the largest percentage of weight lost, won $250,000.

Thought: Wow. WOW. Did you see those people and the way they used to look? They’re GORGEOUS. I’m not a fan of reality TV but this show is different because it did a good thing in healthy ways for people who were dying of obesity. None of them resembled the person they were before…I couldn’t hold my jaw closed…they looked so good. I know how hard it is to lose weight…it’s not just a physical war but also emotional and spiritual. A job well done, guys. You deserve to be happy and look great.

Thought: Obesity has no many health complications and implications. I imagine the realm of liabilities must have been HUGE for the show. My guess is that each contestant had to sign a slew of papers agreeing not to sue if they had a coronary during one of the workouts.

Thought: I noticed that the contestant’s family members were not obese. This tells me that all the contestants were obese because of bad choices, not bad genetics. Thus I theorize that the network specifically looked for people who were INCLINED towards losing weight and did not have to battle against genetics. Pretty unfair, but understandable. It wouldn’t be a show if people didn’t lose weight.

House. Dr. Chase is scrutinized by the board for his errors and circumstances leading to a patient’s death. Meanwhile, Dr. House continues to pursue his ex-wife who he works with but she is remarried. The board decides to allow Dr. Chase to stay on staff with one-week suspension.

Thought: What scared me about this episode was the realization that doctors are also human and therefore prone to error...especially since I am currently under the constant care of one. This is why I believe so strongly in self-education. No one will ever care about you as much as you do, so it’s up to you to educate yourself on your physical needs.

Law & Order. Three children run away from a man who is assumed to be their father. Two children are hit by a car while the third child is taken by the man. The two injured kids are treated at the hospital and questioned by the police. That’s when it’s discovered that they are fugitives from Katrina and the man was not their father, but their forced caretaker that had been sexually abusive. Police manage to track down the man and the missing third child, but the man dies mysteriously. Scientists figure out that the man died of anthrax. The investigation leads to the discovery that the girls were brought to the city in a truck carrying illegal military anthrax. The government intervenes by confiscating the girls and all the police’s information and orders the police not to tell the press. The police woman leaks it to the press anyway, and the journalist promises not to reveal his source. The story airs and the court throws the journalist into jail where he will remain until he gives up his source. He never does.

Thought: This scared me not only because of the historical context but also because of the power of the government. In this case I would argue on the side of the people. The people have a right to know that illegal anthrax is floating in their city. It makes me angry and sad that people have to be imprisoned for the betterment of the public.

Sex & the City. Carrie and Aiden are making love when Mr. Big calls and leaves a message. Carrie had cheated on Aiden with Mr. Big in the past, so this was really awkward. She tries to make it up to Aiden by suggesting all kinds of romantic gestures but he coolly brushes her off and goes off to flirt with the bartender. When they finally talk about it, he asks her never to talk to Mr. Big again, but she says, “You know I can’t. He’s a part of my life.” Meanwhile Charlotte quits her job, even though she loves it, because she thinks it’s necessary in order to raise a family.

Thought: I don’t know what I’d do if my boyfriend cheated on me, but if we weren’t married, I’d probably leave the relationship. If we stayed together, I’d NEVER tolerate the other person staying in contact with their former lover. What the hell is that, Carrie?

Thought: Is it possible to have it all? Can you have a high-class full-time job and still be a good wife and a good mother? Seems like you’d have to sacrifice somewhere, but then again there will always be aristocrats who are married with children…and I’d hate to think that their status automatically makes them bad spouses and bad parents. Hm…


5 Comments:

Blogger Concert Josh said...

I pretty much hate all of those shows. I like TV though, without it I would have to be in a different line of 'work', and I love my job.

2:35 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

I never watch t.v., but I would definitely make an exception for the Simpsons. Now, I'm looking forward to hearing about the stuff you knit during the 5 hours (maybe we can have pics after Christmas?)

7:53 AM  
Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

I LOVE knitting! I think I'm going to make hats for christmas gifts this year. it's so relaxing and a great activity for watching tv.

I didn't have a TV or cable for several years, but Greg is an addict, so now we have the biggest and best TV with the biggest and best satellight service and the biggest and best sound. (rolling my eyes). I did pretty good at keeping away until we got the tivo... it is now controlling my life. I record every simpsons, starting over, lost, survivor, CSI, invasion, biggest loser, etc etc etc... pathetic :(

10:50 AM  
Blogger mollie said...

i have to say i LOVE the biggest loser. i've watched both seasons and i just love that show.

this stems from my obsession with fitness and previous experiences struggling to lose pounds at weight watchers- i LOVE it.

but i just wanted to add that shannon's family is B I G! she is the only one, you're right, but her family is quite robust.

glad you liked the finale.

ps- did it really need to be 2 hours long?

9:20 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Tuesday night and you're not watching 'My Name Is Earl'? For shame! Oh well, it's moving to Thursday night anyway. START WATCHING. There's a reason they call it "the best new comedy on tv."

As a side note, we here at my place think Jason Lee should play The Joker in the next Batman movie, opposite Christian Bale. That'd be....interesting.

5:07 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home