Friday, November 11, 2005

The Almost Flower.

Now that I’ve got my stomping out of my system (see below), I suppose now is as good time as any to tell you about the Almost Flower. What is an Almost Flower, you ask? But I don’t have to tell you because you already know what it is. Everyone has given or received an Almost Something at one point (or, if you’re extra special, several points) in his/her life. An Almost Something is a disconnect between thinking something and then doing something. An Almost Something is, ironically, almost always an excuse. “I almost said I love you”, “I almost bought the bigger diamond”, “I almost took birth control”, and “I almost jumped in to save you” all fall under this category.

An Almost Flower, then, is when instead of receiving the bountiful blue bonnets or pansies or orchids you deserve, you receive a pleading look, empty hands, and the words “I almost stopped by the flower shop today.”

I have received enough Almost Flowers to hang wreaths around my room.

It all started with one of our many fights. Jason is a very all-or-nothing person. When it came to giving, he felt that anything less than diamonds or a yacht would be insufficient. Thus, since he can’t afford either, he chose not to surprise me with anything. I, on the other hand, am completely the opposite. I’m low maintenance. It doesn’t take much to make me happy, but it does take something. Convincing Jason that I preferred flowers over diamonds and picnics over 5-star restaurants was like banging my head against a spiked wall.

The result of my bloodied attempts? He decided to think about it.

And so, time after time, he’d come home from work where I’d be waiting, eagerly anticipating my very first flower.

“Guess what?”
Yes? YES?!
“I almost got you a flower today.”
You…almost?…got me a flower?
“Yep. Flower shop was closed though.”
But…but what about Kroger’s?
“No way. They don’t have the best ones.”

Thus the Almost Flower was born. Every weekend there’d be a different excuse, but always the same result. I’d open my palms and he’d hand me an Almost Flower to add to my burgeoning bouquet. At one point, he did arrive with a pink rose, but only after much begging. And it was one of those nonchalant “here’s your flower, so take it” type deals, so I was still disappointed. I stuck it in one of his empty beer bottles, where it wilted within days.

This weekend started out the same way. He arrived at my place, said “I thought about getting you a flower”. I was about say “Uh huh” when he cried, “So I did!” and pulled out a beautiful, long-stem red rose.

Eureka! I closed my eyes, wrapped my fingers around the plump petals, and reveled in a flurry of flower fumes. Mmm…

Do you have an Almost Something in your life? Or are you one of those lucky gals that are spoiled rotten by your significant other? Either way, let’s hear it!

6 Comments:

Blogger kimananda said...

Ahhh...getting flowers. I used to get them a lot. And in between relationships I used to get them for myself. Now, we go for candy. But I would secretly (not so secretly now, as Thor is next to me and will read this in a moment) prefer a red rose, just once in a while.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Concert Josh said...

I have only bought TR flowers once. We have only been dating for just over 6 months now, and at about the 4 month mark I had a dozen 'Autumn Roses' secretly delivered to her house. Stupid me transposed 2 numbers of her address so Fed-Ex tried to deliver them to an empty lot. Luckily I got her phone number correct so she could go pick them up. Unluckily, she was heading to her parents house for the weekend. Luckily about the time I knew she'd be leaving her place I sent her a text message saying 'I hope you have a great weekend and you liked the flowers'

She knew there was a package for her at the Fed Ex office, but thought it was something from her sister and was going to leave it over the weekend.

Anyway, I guess that isn't an 'Almost Something', but it is about flowers..

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Last summer we had an array of flowers in bloom in our backyard. I told my husband how nice it would be to come home to a bouquet on the table. He said, "I was going to, but now that you brought it up, it wouldn't be a surprise"
Grrrrrrrrr

9:01 PM  
Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

You know, I've been made privy to the fact that men have an unwritten law regarding flowers. You can absolutely, under no circumstances get a girl flowers 'just because'. They think that if they start getting you flowers, you'll start expecting them all the time... then everything else is downhill from there.

However, you could always talk Jason into signing up for this: http://savemyass.com/home

10:15 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Jason is a very all-or-nothing person. When it came to giving, he felt that anything less than diamonds or a yacht would be insufficient. Thus, since he can’t afford either, he chose not to surprise me with anything

This is M to a 'T'. He won't get me jewelry from Wal-mart for example, because it isn't the best, he won't buy junk jewelry, or take me out to dinner because he can only afford fast food...I still think I'm taken well care of. I'm doing better and more loved than most, but yeah, there were alot of "almosts" in my life. Some I won't talk about, some I will. I "almost" had a loving family, but it didn't quite make it...now, I married into another one where its really pretty great.

4:29 PM  
Blogger mollie said...

are you kidding? i get "almost" somethings all the damn time. i get "i was almost romantic, but then i farted instead." i get lots of "i almost made dinner, but then i got caught up in this video game."

once i even got "i almost sent you flowers, but then i realized i did that last year."

there was a guy on my team at work- my last job- that recieved a dozen roses at his desk and the note simply read "see? its not that hard. signed, your loving wife"

heehee

5:37 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home