Friday, December 09, 2005

How to Humiliate Leslie


Not so long ago, a friend asked me, "Leslie, what embarrasses you?", to which I proudly scoffed, "Ha! Practically nothing! Not penises or vaginas! Not skidmarks or skidrow! You just bring it on, mister, bring-it-on!"

Have you ever heard the phrase, "be careful of what you wish for"? Well I apparently, I hadn't.

This Monday my doctor called and left a voicemail:
"Hi Leslie, this is Dr. R. I just wanted to let you know that your blood test results came back and nothing changed, so you don't have an acute case of Mono...Oh by the way, my daughter did a search of my name and she stumbled upon your blog. It said something like 'I love my doctor' and I just wanted to let you know that it was very sweet of you."
My doctor read my blog? My DOCTOR? Read my BLOG?

A billion thoughts passed through my mind. Which blog? (Yes I have more than one. And no I won't tell you about the other one, that would defeat the purpose of having a private blog, wouldn't it?) And what entry did he read? What did I say? Did he read anything else? Oh my god oh my god oh-my-god!

I jumped onto a computer and googled his name. On the second page, I saw what his daughter saw. I was horrified. I was mortified. I was horribly and utterly horrimortikified.

I'm normally a sweet, composed, innocent little girl. (Jason would say differently but don't believe a word he says. I deny EVERYTHING.) But on the day of that entry, I'd just come back from my first visit to the doctor...a visit that involved a rectal examination. I was also reeling and venting from a series of excruciatingly frustrating events and my mouth was not so innocent.

SO. Not only did he read about my "rectal squeeze", he read all my curses, AND he read the part about my "crush"...which was a JOKE, but he doesn't know me THAT well, so he might have thought I was serious. To make it WORSE, all the entries sandwiching that one was about farting, pooping, and there was a line about Jason grabbing my ass.

In review, my married, jovial doctor whom I see ALL the time now thinks I have a crush on him AND he thinks I'm a dirty little girl AND he's probably replaying my first visit in his mind to figure out if I really did give him a rectal squeeze. My doctor. Is thinking. About my anus.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Has anyone ever died of humiliation? If not, can I be the first one?!

* * * *

Dr. Rissover, if you're reading this, you should know that unless I'm talking about death, you should take everything I say with a grain of salt...the size of Mt. Everest. By the way, you are a fantastic doctor, and even if you don't have a prescription for utter humiliation, I forgive you.

If this is Dr. Rissover's daughter, hello! I hear you like monkeys. Your father always tells me this because I always bring in a little journal with a pink monkey on it. I'm really not this crazy. Well okay I AM this crazy but I'm really very harmless...just a little gassy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

WOW.

That's awful and horrible and embarrassing... wow. lol

But makes for a great story though! lol!

12:13 AM  
Blogger elvira black said...

LOL!!! I'm sorry, I know you're embarassed, but wow! Yep, that's one reason I never use real names in blogland. I'm also not sure how you Googled him and saw what he read? I never did understand what all the fuss about Google was about. I guess this must have something to do with it.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

Oh. My. God.

9:24 AM  
Blogger PG said...

you were right.... I was smiling, all right... laughing... no wait... REALLY rolling on the floor laughing....!!

Oh sweetie it doesn't get any funnier than this. And you know what? Who cares! lol.... if we can laugh at all this, we can laugh at ANYTHING.

Sigh.

(still laughing)

11:32 AM  
Blogger KjerstenGreg said...

Oh wow. I am feeling embarrassed for you right now. I think the fact that your dr said something about finding your blog is a good sign that he's very good humored. If he was uncomfortable, or thought anything negative, he probably wouldn't have said anything.

Be strong!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can feel the panic from here!!! And you've got to face him again one day!! Phew! You're going to have to practice the 'om' word and be cool - could it be worse than the 'meeting' I mentioned!?! Well, perhaps it could. But I'm sure from what you recount that he didn't read it - only his daughter. And she seems to have given him a sanitised version, just passing on the nice bits. Hey, it was a nice friendly blog. Remember that he who misinterprets show the paucity of his own mind and heart.

BTW Have you come across The Mobiliser. Good for scoliosis apparently!!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PS I should have said...

Don't be DAFT!!! ;-)

Hugs!

7:17 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

Eeek! I would imagine that your doctor thought it was funny, in any case. But, yep, a bit embarassing!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could this be the conversation we had on IM about embarrasing moments? ... and yes... that is utterly humiliating. i cringed whilst reading. i cringe at your next appointment with the dr. akward silences/moments here you come :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger mollie said...

SHUT UP. shut up.



SHUT UP!


i am laughing and dying with you right now. i had a similar moment of fear when somehow i mentioned in an interview that i had a blog and that evening saw on my site report that my name was googled by someone at the company i was interviewing with.

yeah.

the most recent blogs had been about doodling in meetings and being fixated by my short boss' legs dangling above the ground from her work chair.

oh well. i still got the job. WHEW!

6:58 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Sigh. This goes down as THE most humiliating moment of my life. If anyone asks, this. never. happened.

Btw, my next appointment is on the 30th. I am hoping that by then, either 1) he'll have forgotten or 2) I'll have lost ALL respect for myself and not care what he thinks.

I'm working on losing respect for myself.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

A little honesty and reality keeps us grounded. Imagine "uber pretty girl" mentioned your nostalgic post about yesteryear having that experience. It's prolly happened. We're all human, and those who HAVEN'T suffered this level of embarrassment aren't what I consider alive.

I had an embarrassing moment change my life forever in second grade. It cost me one of my best friends, and from that moment on, I never bothered trying to be cool or fit in with the nifty clique. Fuck them. If you have to please them, they're not your friends.

Anyway....so, does it embarrass you if I think about your anus?

5:13 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home