Monday, March 13, 2006

Let's play ketchup

Let's see, a few things...

My family decided to have Grandpa cremated. We're having a memorial service next Saturday - ironically, on the same day as my one-year Anniversary with Jason. The first life, the first death...on the same day. Hm.

In other news, my parents actually LIKE Jason now. MY PARENTS LIKE JASON! If you knew the extent of their hatred toward him and our relationship in the beginning, you'd be blown away too. My dad had forbid him from the house. My mom wouldn't look him in the eye. Neither would acknowledge his existence, let alone mention him in conversation. But now, one insufferable year later, my dad engages him in conversation. My mom invites him to dinner. They both behave comfortably around him. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, SOMEONE PINCH ME.

What made the difference? I can't say for sure, but I think it had a lot to do with Jason helping my mother around the office by setting up her new furniture. He also accompanied me on two visits to see my grandpa, and I think his quiet, steady presence by my side spoke loudly to my parents. BUT WHO CARES?! THEY LIKE HIM!

In other news, not only did I make my FIRST eBay purchase last weekend, but I also bought my FIRST Mac and my FIRST laptop. A used 15" Mac Powerbook. I am so excited. When I realized I'd won the bid, I freaked out because it meant spending a lot of money that I REALLY NEED! But it's an investment, and in one fell PayPal swoop, I sealed the deal. Now I await my laptop in the mail. Mac lovers, welcome me into your world! Bye bye PC, hello APPLE! (Jason is a little miffed, btw. He's a PC lover and says he doesn't know if he can live in the same household. Tough luck, buddy.)

In the meantime, my bank account is still slowly depleting. Money's a life breaker and taker, and I'm trying my best to remain faithful to God...trusting him to bring me more clients for my freelance work, trusting him to keep me afloat, trusting him to help me pay my bills. I know that a year from now I'll look back and realize it was all worth it, but golly, it's hard until then, you know?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I understand completely about the money issue...sometimes I would kill for an hourly-paying job. With benefits. And vacation pay!

But it's a trade-off. I have a career I love in exchange for a steady income.

That's what I keep telling myself.

9:47 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home