Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bye, Grandpa.

Dear Grandpa,

Today you died. Mom called me tonight and I could tell by the tone of her voice.

I'm not going to lie, Grandpa. I'm not crying and I don't feel too upset. I just feel...weird. I've never dealt with death before. I've never gone to a funeral. One time Jason brought me to his friend's mother's viewing and I crept up to her coffin like a curious kitten to a ball of yarn. I wasn't sure what I was going to see.

Poor Shiao Yi. Mom said that when she woke up by your bedside and found you gone, she went into hysterics. They almost had to take her to the hospital. They gave her some Tylenol; she was sleeping in the house when Mom called. She's going to stay with Mom and Dad a few days.

I don't know that death is easy on anyone. I mean, there's Dad, who was the only one who cried at your bedside other than Shiao Yi. There's Uncle George - the stoic, casual, eldest son - who knows what he's thinking, he never approached your bedside. There's Aunt Jane, who took care of you with the dedication of a nun, but I don't know what she's thinking either. There's your wife who is beyond consolation. And then there's Mom who's stuck in the middle of all the grief, trying to hold a house together while working extremely late nights at work.

So what happens next? I really don't know. I guess I need to go out and buy some nice black clothes.

I miss you already, Grandpa. I remember being mad at you my whole life and now I can't remember what that felt like. I just think about you not being there when we're playing Mahjong and I get sad.

But you know, I'm so glad you got to meet Jason before you left. I don't feel like I contributed a lot to your life, but I hope you left knowing that I have a good man in my life. Granted, a good man that drives me up the wall and makes me consider murder, but a good man who can melt my heart and make me forgive him against my will with a simple apology and kiss. Your life will live on in us, Grandpa.

We love you.

Your loving grand-daughter,

Ting Ting

4 Comments:

Blogger PG said...

ahhhh, sweetie. I am so sorry.
It is not unusual to feel... weird.
Your faith will get you through, because it is so strong and so special within you.
I am with you, in spirit, little ohio girl.

xoxxx
ee

9:27 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I never know what to make of death either. It happens. It will happen to all of us sooner or later. We miss those that are no longer with us but it is the nature of life that there is death. That's easier to accept when an older individual dies.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Sorry for your loss.
My Grandpa's funeral (in 1998) was the first I had been to, and it is a weird feeling. I didn't really even grieve until I saw him, then the floodgates opened.
What a nice tribute you've had to him here.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

10:01 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home