Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Privacy for Privates

I hate public restrooms. I have nothing against the restroom part. The toilet and I are good friends. If my butt is having frequent outings with the toilet, that's the sign of a solid friendship.

It's the public part I can't stand. I can't have conversations with the toilet when someone else is sitting right beside me having the same conversation. How did restroom designers think that a metal semi-wall would make me feel more comfortable? Does that somehow shorten the distance between my dropped panties and hers?

When someone walks into the stall right next to mine, I freeze. I squeeze my systems to a shutdown, close my eyes, and pretend I'm invisible. Then it happens. My mind floods with an overwhelming rush of thoughts. Is she having the same conversation as I am? Am I going to faint from her part of the conversation? Is she looking at my shoes like I'm looking at hers?

And then I start listening to clues. A rip means tampon. A nervous shuffle means poop. A clearing of the throat means pee. (You know you have the same decoding system, don't lie.)

Finally, I start sending her strong 'go away' vibes. Go away, I say. This is an A-B conversation, so C yourself out.

Do I hear an Amen?

4 Comments:

Blogger Beckalicious said...

Most of my public bathroom thoughts center around the cleanliness (or apparent lack thereof, as is the case 99% of the time - the other 1%, I'm thinking,"Dang, this is a really clean bathroom... I might actually be able to SIT on the toilet.")

Rarely do I have bodily function thoughts. Probably because I only pee in public bathrooms.

And, honestly, I have never had a decoding system.

But you know what REALLY bothers me? When there are EIGHTEEN STALLS OPEN AND THE PERSON WHO JUST WALKED IN CHOOSES THE ONE RIGHT NEXT TO MINE.

Gah, I HATE that.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Morris said...

Having been sick for 4 hours one time in various restrooms around work, I came to the shocking conclusion very few people toilet paper the seat before they sit down! Kinda scary. I listened for the visual cues too, unizipping of the pants, the immediate plop of the body hitting the seat, the and then the sigh of relief ;)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I have to either flush while I pee or else I hold whatever sacrifice I have to offer the john until all the others in the stalls have left. I enjoy my solitude....but maybe it's just me that does that.

1:11 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

You guys want to hear something scary? I have never laid down paper before sitting down on a public toilet.

Now that I think about it, that's sort of disgusting...hmm...

4:57 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home