Friday, February 10, 2006

The Flu-Nasty.


Do you know what sucks about having the flu?

EVERYTHING.

Well okay, it's a tie between my snot free-flowing Niagara nose or my throat that's as raw and inflamed as an open blister. And between those two, I'd say the latter is the worst, only because it prevents me from doing what I love most: laughing, talking, and EATING.

It's already been 3 days, so I'm past the point where I can sleep away my misery. Thank goodness I discovered Dr. Phil. Unlike other talk shows that make you watch their show to see what happened, his staff updates his site with full details of every story and show...just for sickies like me. At best, it's a great place to glean relationship advice. At the least, you discover that, "Hey, I'm not nearly as screwed up as I thought I was!"

I even took Dr. Phil's Relationship Health Profile test. I scored an 11, exactly as I predicted I would. Anyone else want to make a go?

A few observations about being sick:
  1. People are way nicer to you when you're sick. And I admit, it's nice to be petted like a puppy when you feel like cow dung.
  2. Soup is God's gift to sickies.
  3. So is hot tea.
  4. Cough syrup is NASTY.
  5. It is practically a crime that sicknesses don't come with full-service waiters. You don't actually think I'm going to cook and feed myself, do you?

10 Comments:

Blogger kimananda said...

Get well soon!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I used to be all woe and dread, seeing everything as an obstacle or a nuisance. With this state of mind, being sick was the worst. However, somewhere along they way--and I'm not sure when or how--I got all optimistic and saw more silver linings than ever. Thus, getting sick does still suck in a certain absolute regard, but it's a blessing in that you get unrestricted access to laying on the couch and watching movies, and just think how much BETTER you'll feel when things start to improve! We'd never appreciate feeling "ok" if we didn't feel like complete ass sometimes.

That said, keep at the soup, take two of me, and call me in the morning. :) Get well sweets.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Fated said...

Hope you feel better soon!

I loved your observations about being sick. Very true. You can practically get away with murder when you are sick. Also, cough syrup is the devil, avoid at all costs.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

OH NO.

Take some Oscillococcinum.

And drink lots of fluids. Gotta replace all that stuff flowin' outta yer nose, ya know. (:

11:58 AM  
Blogger Chipper said...

My observation ab. being sick is that I always manage to become ill when the house is a disaster and I have twently errands to run. Not sure how that works, but it always seems to happen. Feel better soon!
p.s. Sort of an odd question, but ahve you tried those new tablets that you put into your shower and they release medicine for your runny/stuffed up nose? They work awesome-try one if you have a chance....they make it a bit more bearable.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Poor baby! Here's my receipe for sore throat morphine:

the juice of one lime (medium to large, pop it in the nuker for 20 seconds to make juicing easier)
say 4 tablespoons of honey (I never actually measure the stuff out)

Mix the two together and drizzle on the back of your tongue. If you're really hurting (it sounds like you are) drizzle some into hot water (add more honey if you need to) and drink it before it gets cold.

Also, a pot of steaming hot water, a few drops of eucalyptus oil or some menthol crystals, and a towel over your head are great for stuffy/runny noses.

8:34 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

Thanks to EVERYONE for your well wishes.

Mark, every the optimist, you helped me see the brighter side!

Fated, I'm so glad someone else hates cough syrup. I tried NyQuil and BLECH! It was a putrid sewer green, too! Couldn't they have picked a color that doesn't say "POISON"?

Etchen, there's never a good time to get sick, is there? Thank goodness I don't have any other bodies to take care of right now. I don't know how moms do it!

Sam, wow, remind me to come to you for ALL homemade recipes from now on. I'm totally keeping that recipe for the future! Thanks!

10:35 PM  
Blogger The mini ninja said...

HAHAHAHA. I can't ever please you, Ben. But you do make a point.

However, this is DR. PHIL we're talking about. He doesn't have time for people to pour their hearts out on paper when he just wants to make a point.

On a side note, I fantasize what he looks like without that mustache.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I got lots of receipes from the old country (throw some thyme in your tea, or chicken soup, and see if that helps your cough). Some are nice, some are not. Those in the "not" category kept you healthy by virtue of being so gross you would do anything not to have to take them.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
»

12:46 AM  

Gab At Les

<< Home