Monday, September 12, 2005

What I Remember.

Tonight, my tears are in the thousands. One for every painful thought and memory. They fall furiously to my lap. And I remember.

I remember living inside a secret hell hole for 2 years under the finger of a con man, wearing a body brace that was so thick I could not hold my head up in confidence, but too thin to cover my anguish.

I remember my parents. I remember their fights, I remember the numbness. I remember thinking, "I will be the parent they never were. I will show them it is possible to love."

I remember one doctor after another, each made of stone, none who could help me.

I remember a time when I could stand and walk, pain-free, for more than an hour at a time. I remember flowing flower dresses and bare feet in the spring, running to another adventure with no end in sight.

I remember my jealousy, the first time I discovered that, for some reason, I couldn't go to the bathroom like the other kids. I remember my shame.

I remember the measuring tape my grandmother used to compare my large waist to my sister's thin one. I remember my 5 years of a deep, dark depression. I remember hating myself.

I remember the day I decided that life was worth living. I remember climbing out of my hole. I have never looked back.

I remember my secret wish that this doctor...THIS doctor....would be able to help me. He would say, "Leslie, you can be fixed. You qualify for surgery. You will be well." I would have a solution to my disease. Then I would cry, I would laugh, and I would raise my arms in victory.

I remember this morning's phone call, the day before my rescheduled appointment. The secretary told me the doctor had permanently dismissed me as a patient. I was not to see him or any of his surgeons in the group ever again. All because I asked for possible monetary compensation for last week's appointment. Jason and my parents had patiently waited, then he had called in and cancelled the appointment. I didn't think it would hurt to ask consideration for compensation. I remember my heart dropping through my chest.

I remember telling Jason. He said he would fuck him up, and I laughed. Then he reconsidered and said, "In hindsight, [asking for compensation] was a really stupid thing to do." I remember my lips trembling. I mumbled something and hung up the phone. I covered my mouth to muffle a possible cry.

I remember writing my parents. I remember my mother's cruelty in her response email. Her disappointment, her anger...it was my fault, all my fault...I was the one to blame, I was always pointing fingers, she was the victim. I remember my hands were ice cold from gripping all of my insides, trying not to weep.

I remember the loneliness that settled upon me like an unsettling shadow. I could not cry at the office, what would they think of me? So I tightened my muscles and squeezed all the pressure into my temples. I still have the sinus headache.

I remember the subsequent emails from first my father, then my sister, who I had purposely left out of the situation, but my parents had heaved her in. Their words were a blur, mere additions to my mother's...words about the law, my mistake...I remember feeling utterly alone.

I remember the sobs escaping from my lips in a loud gasp, heaving from my chest after being repressed every minute for 12 hours. I buried my head in my arms and wept.

I remembered to write it down.

4 Comments:

Blogger mothersong said...

Sweetheart, you weren't wrong, you're just asking for justice in an unjust world.

You should have asked for compensation, you were not wrong. You should report the group to the medical board, as well.

And if that's the way they treated you, after the way they had already mistreated you, then, no, they weren't the right people for you, the right doctors to heal you. You just didn't have to waste anymore time to find that out.

I know you're disappointed, and I know you're hurt by the reaction of the people you care about. They care about you, and they had their own high hopes, and sometimes that clouds a person's judgement. They certainly didn't respond very well. It's OK to be disappointed, and hurt, and angry. Just don't be defeated.

Well, you can feel defeated for a day. Hit the bar, get really drunk, rant and rave about your screwed up family. Then, when you get over the hangover, do the Scarlett O'Hara number, "they'll never beat me, I'll never be hungry again...."

I'll be thinking of you.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Beckalicious said...

Oh, honey... I'm so sorry. If I was there now, and if you could do a thorough background check to verify that I'm not completely psycho, I'd let you cry on my shoulder and goober up my shirt.

1:50 PM  
Blogger mollie said...

that makes my heart hurt for you. the others are right - that isn't the right doctor to nurture and heal you. your family and jason are just having a hard time supporting you through their own frustration of not being able to help.

chin up. we're all here supporting you.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Baylor facial plastic surgery center Prozac tablet 10 mg http://www.forexchart9.info/Miami-hurricanes-shirts.html Celexa sideeffects 2008 acura mdx picture State of kansas income tax

2:41 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home