Friday, September 02, 2005

Trust the toad.

Last night Chris took me to a dinner and a movie. We said we were celebrating - I landed an internship at Barefoot Advertising, a premier agency in town - but in truth, it was just one more excuse for him to take me out and for me to get free food and good laughs.

He took me to Smokey Bones. Wow. For appetizer, we shared hot, moist cornbread with pecan butter. Mmmm! As an entree, he had turkey, ribs, and pork. I had a half rack of baby back ribs, mashed potatoes (the good kind with chunks of skin) and green beans. Oh and they had a sauce made of vinegar and peppers...my two favorite ingredients of all time! I poured it on. For dessert, we had fried donuts with strawberry dipping sauce.

I'd never gone to Smokey Bones before, but I'm definitely going to go back! Apparently it's a chain. Has anyone else eaten there?

We walked across to RAVE theatre. He doesn't like comedy and loves horror and drama. I love comedy and fear horror. So we compromised - The Brothers Grimm. Let's be honest - it's not going to win any Oscars any time soon. But Chris has a thing for Matt Damon, so off we went. The only quote I can remember is "trust the toad". Good advice.

Just as we pulled up to my house, I fumbled in my purse and realized I'd lost my keys. With my car dead as a dud in the driveway, the prospect of replacing a chain of lost keys, and the world as we know it going insane, I was beside myself. In these situations, the temptation is to do something that makes you feel in control. Some people cut their hair. Some people cut their wrists.

I cut my fingernails.

Hey they were getting long, okay? Then this morning I arrived at work and there they were, sitting on my desk, mocking me. I could just hear them whisper, "You're a dumbass." I was too relieved to argue.