Friday, July 14, 2006

Buzz buzz I hate you.

Some people hear voices in their head. If you're me, you hear bugs. That's right, I said it. Bugs.

At some point on Wednesday evening I spotted a huge ass bug that looked like a wasp buzzing over my ceiling. I swatted at it. I must have missed, but I couldn't tell. I couldn't find the body.

At 1:00am, I woke up. I felt a buzzing in my ear. No, a fluttering. Something that sounded like water rolling around from my ear to the inside of my head. It felt like Swimmer's Ear, but how could I have Swimmer's Ear at 1 0'clock in the frickin' morning?!

At first I tried Q-tips and jumping up and down. Nothing. I hopped online, but I didn't fit the bill for an ear infection or Swimmer's Ear. Just in case, I popped some Benadryl (in case this was a weird allergy reaction) and Tylenol (for the pain). In the back of my mind, I couldn't push away the thought that maybe the bug from earlier that evening had crawled into my ear for revenge. An absurd thought? Maybe. But nothing else explained it.

By this time, it was 2am. I called Jason. He dismissed it as irregular ear pain and advised me to sleep on it.

As soon as I hung up the phone, something jabbed me in the ear. I felt like one hundred knives were stabbing me. I grabbed my ear and squeezed my eyes, falling onto my bed. If my roommates weren't sleeping, I would have had them rush me to the ER. I thought my head was going to explode.

In one last desperate attempt, I hopped online again and found a few sites that recommended dropping warm olive oil into my ear. I didn't have a dropper or olive oil. But I did have vegetable oil and a spoon. As I stared at our big vat of oil and the spoon in my hand, I began to question my sanity. But pain will do strange things to people. Into my ear it went.

Within seconds, the pain melted away. All was quiet. Had I not been so exhausted, I would have cried. I passed out almost immediately.

This afternoon I went to the doctor to talk about a few things. I mentioned my ear mishap, so he took a look into my ear.

Can you guess what he found?

Yep. A bug. A big, black, nasty bug. No doubt the same bug I'd swatted at.

It took him 3 tweezers and 10 minutes to extract the bug from my ear. (By the way, it hurt like hell.) I shuddered when I saw the carcass inside the bloody tissue. And no, the blood was not from the tweezers. It was from my ear - apparently, the excruciating pain I'd felt on Wednesday night had come from the bug's stinger...it was stinging me in my ear canal.

I shudder at the thought that I carried a bug's carcass around in my ear for 48 hours.

A bug. In my ear. What are the odds?!

So to all you folks that swear up and down that your room is shrinking or your pets talk to you or bugs are buzzing inside your ear...I believe you. Yes, I do.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chipper said...

Eeewwwwwwww!!!! Bad bug! At least you got it out--who knew that could happen?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Daphnewood said...

okay that is the scariest story I have heard in a while. I will have nightmares over this one. You poor thing! I am so glad you went to the doctor and got the nasty thing out. Leslie gets the bravery award for the month. I have heard of this before (my cousin also had a nasty visitor in his ear) but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Nervous said...

Eeeek - that's so awful, Leslie! Did the doc tell you what kind of bug it was? I was just talking about how much I hate seeing earwigs around and there's an old "myth" about them crawling into one's ear - which has been dismissed as an old wive's tale. But I guess these things really can happen! Gak! Glad you're okay!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

my very worst fear is that an earwig will eat my brains....now I know for sure it could happen! oh no!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

2:57 PM  

Gab At Les

<< Home